Grassendale was originally Manawa run in 1884, consisting of Horoweka/Mairangi/Manawa and Grassendale, it was bought by John Dalziell and Ash Bunnys grandfathers and split it into four farms in 1931.
John Dalziells father managed Grassendale from about 1943 and bought into it. John Dalziell took over in 1972, he purchased the land and bailed the stock in 1974. John cleared and developed 230ha in three blocks over 4 years with development loans. And then a further 300-400ha over the next 15yrs.
George and Luce purchased Burtonfields (311ha) the neighbouring property to Grassendale in July 2005. A family succession plan was put in place and they purchased Grassendale in 2009. The two farms are run as one “Grassendale”. It is a steep summer dry hill country farm, with a particularly high wind run.
Total area 1565ha
Total Effective 1050ha
Silt loam 115ha